Well, a year has passed since Remy Cointreau sold the champagne brands, Piper Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck to the family run group, EPI.
So, what has happened in the last 12 months, and what can we expect to see gracing the shelves in this new era of Heidsieck champagne?
It seems that there are quite a few changes, and definitely a more youthful look for both brands of bubbly. The pastel pink colours of before have been replaced by a more vibrant and vivid tone, and the calligraphy on the labels has disappeared and is now a far more 21st century, narrow font block text.
The bottles themselves are following current trends such as that being trail blazed by Bollinger Champagne – with a tapered body and thinner neck.
But, most importantly, let’s talk about the champagne itself. These new bottles of fizz will consist of 60 per cent wine from the year 2008, and the remaining 40 per cent of reserve wines from harvests that took place 10 years ago or more. It’s this usage of 40 per cent reserve wines that will continue to maintain the much-loved continuity of the Heidsieck style.
The price has also changed – with these bottles being priced at between €40 – €45 euros per bottle.
About Champagne ExpertWe are four people working on this blog: Jacki (England), LeChamp' (France) and Sophie & Marc (Germany)... and we love Champagne and all sparklers out there. We just started this website, we still learn, we will drink a lot of Champagne.
Join Champagne LeChamp on twitter
> July 25th: Charles Lafitte 1834 Blanc de Blancs 12%. Nice nose, but far too sweet. The bubbles are great. 5.5/10
> July 19th: Billecart Salmon Brut. Rather balanced, not enough bubbles for my taste, a good pre-dinner Champagne, a bit too flat 6.5/10
> July 14th: Henri Giraud Cuvée Argonne 2002. Gentle fine bubbles: 9/10
> June 29th: Val de Cune Prosecco Treviso Brut. Very nice: 8/10
> June 25th: Champagne Mailly Grand Cru Brut Réserve: No bubbles, sour, flat.. 4/10
> June 20th: Champagne Beauvalet Brut Cote Des Bar Urville: 7/10
> June 18th: Piper Heidsieck Standard: very nice Champagne, that's a 8/10
> June 16th: Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut (Cava) .. stuff is too sweet 4.5/10
Join us on Facebook